Category: Reflections

Reflection-Project 3: Constrained Systems

In this project, I was assigned to design and apply a modular system for a connotation of the word by using a simple shape i.e squares or circles.

Process:

I was assigned magnification and oppressive to work with throughout the project. Now before doing any attempts on what I’m doing, the words and using their synonyms seemed to be the most appropriate way to go.  Brainstorming the definitions really helped to rough out the direction I was going with my sketches. For example, magnification can either increase, enlarge or enhance certain qualities while oppression can use pressure and abuse which branches out to numerous words to define like break, shatter, strip, tear, shred, bend and to ruin those same qualities. Here’s my sketches to clarify:

Now the hardest part was to put the sketches to use in a modular system. There couldn’t be any cutting and morphing, It was just a basic shape to be used. So I thought instead of altering the shape, why not change the placement.  Not to mention the emphasis placed on the word with it’s given connotation.  The only way to go with this is to devise a process and error situation where every connotation is use in an alphabetical system. Which ever one didn’t correspond with the given criteria were immediately deleted. The end result was three remaining systems for both words no one image was alike.

Letters

By the end of last Monday, just one system from each word was chosen for the final critique to put into context which was the most easiest part. Supported by the sketches and connotations, the project went without a hitch while figuring out how the negative space could enhance or take away from the word. The answer was applied to Oppressive, it only made sense to do so.

Result

The end result was a completed constrained system for each word and their given connotations.

Final Project (Constrained SystemS)

Advertisements

Reflection-Project 2

Process(Mission): The goal was to examine a specific font in detail by analyzing, hand-setting, characterizing by patterns/variations and design.

Type of Font: Garamond Regular, Italic, Medium and Bold

Outcome: 

Overall, the process took a little longer to complete but came out with a near-satisfying project. I came into this project knowing nothing about font or the anatomy it consists of nor did i even care about it. I just thought type was type, no matter what kind it is. Then going through part two where we highlighted our typeface’s anatomy and measurement, I learned how different a single glyph can be even if it’s the letter A, asterisk or a question mark at the end of a sentence. Despite all this, the most difficult part of the project was especially part two.  Not the labeling but trying to visualize and compose certain letters with their parts at works of art. The reason for this is that the way that some colors that were use to highlight parts were far too distracting to quote some nearby students. In my own defense, it would have been efficient to choose just one color throughout the entire work, but I wanted to add a little more without worrying about how it would effect the entire piece. As the critique went on, it didn’t go as planned with the masses. But with every negative there’s a positive and that positive was part three. This was extremely easy to do because all that had to be done was to create expressive compositions or connotations for a given word. This allowed me to express the image with color, text-size and stroke, things you couldn’t do with parts one and two. Still, this entire project helped my understanding with how font and typefaces work. No matter what kind, each font has a specific anatomy that can be easily detailed and classified.

FullBook(update)

Reflection-Project 1

Process

I assigned myself the first six letters of the alphabet only to find out i couldn’t use any type or designed text from other sources.

In short, I’m screwed

But it came much more easier than I expected when find letters in unknown places. Knowing that i couldn’t travel far or waste any time, I decided to use ordinary objects around campus. The search for the “A”,”C”,”D”,”E” and “F” all came from within a five to ten mile radius with my dorm room smack dab in the epicenter, but of course it came with its bumps and swerves. That being said, I couldn’t find the “B” in time and all my images for that letter were either in low-definition with Photoshop or just plain blurry or atrocious in quality. For that I alerted the group who kept in touch by sending their own pics and giving out opinions at the same time by text.  One of them had taken a picture of their dashboard that looked similar to “B”. Crisis averted.

During class, the rest of the group came together for progress report for the rest of the day. Only to find out on of my letters,”C”, was all scattered pixels therefore the image was unrecognizable. I had to take it over again which I did before the first five minutes of class started. Hooray.

Outcome

The end result was to have a full twenty-six letters with four symbols included by Monday afternoon. my group was third to go and ended with mixed but favorable reviews with a couple of suggestions for the professor himself. The main objective was to create a alphabet that was elaborate and had a flow to each letter made. Safe to say with a few tweaks to some images, the group successfully accomplished the goal.